I had installed and setup a Virtual Machine using Virtual Box for testing networking equipment. Much to my dismay I quickly found out that by default, a vanilla install only supported PPTP (less secure) and did not have an L2TP (Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol) client.
Why in the world? I have no idea. I didn’t think that many people still even used PPTP. Either way, after some quick searching, I discovered the following package which supports IPSec in Gnome on Ubuntu 16.10.
To quickly get setup:
- sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nm-l2tp/network-manager-l2tp
- sudo apt-get update
- sudo apt install network-manager-l2tp-gnome
Once installed, to add your VPN:
- Right click on the networking icon
- Select Edit Connections
- Add Button
- Choose L2TP from the Dropdown
- Enter the VPN information